To apply to become a local Leader, please download the application pack (See sidebar)
What a local leader of education does
The majority of the work of a local leader of education is one to one support of another headteacher.
Typical activities include:
- negotiating objectives for improvement
- coaching and mentoring the headteacher to develop skills, judgement and professional effectiveness
- supporting or arranging coaching or training for staff in the supported school
Each placement is negotiated separately with the relevant local authority, teaching school or other organisation.
Schools that are a priority for support of those where:
- attainment is below the minimum standards
- the school is considered to be vulnerable
- a new, first-time headteacher has been appointed
Support must be focused on:
- school improvement
- the needs of the beneficiary organisation